Are you looking to buy a VW T5?
If you’re looking to buy a T5 then like any vehicle, it serves well to do a little research.
The Volkswagen T5 was available in various models and trim levels, including: – Transporter
All Transporters are available in both short and long wheel base. They also come with a variation of weight catagories including T26, T27, T28, T30 and T32. This is the gross weight of the vehicle. This is worth bearing in mind if you’re looking to convert your van into a camper. Ideally you should be looking at a T28 or higher.
Among the different engine options, the 2.0-litre turbo diesel engine is considered one of the most reliable and desirable engines among the vw Community. It is more efficient and has lower emissions while providing good performance. It is also widely available, which makes it easy to find parts and conduct repairs.
The Volkswagen T5 offers several advantages over other Transporter models, such as a more modern and spacious interior design. It also has a better fuel economy and lower emissions than older models, resulting in lower running costs. Additionally, the T5 has better safety features compared to the older models, so it ensures a safer driving experience. However, some might argue that the older models have more character and have a simpler design and mechanical systems that make them easier and cheaper to maintain. Additionally, some VW enthusiasts prefer the aesthetics of older models over the T5. Ultimately, the decision to buy a T5 or an older VW Transporter model comes down to personal preferences, needs, and priorities. It’s important to consider the advantages and disadvantages of each model and choose the one that meets your lifestyle and requirements.
Here’s a check list for those looking to buy a VW T5
– Check the van’s service history and ensure that it has been maintained regularly.
– Check the mileage on the vehicle and its age to have an idea of the wear and tear. – Inspect the engine for any leaks, rust, or damage to the belts.
– Check the suspension, steering, and brakes for faults, noises or debris.
– Check the condition of the tyres for wear and ensure that they have sufficient tread depth.
– Inspect the bodywork for rust or dents
– especially in the sills, wheel arches and roof seams.
– Check the electrical system, especially the leisure battery and charging systems, ensuring they work efficiently.
– Inspect the interior of the campervan including the carpets, seats, windows and doors for damages or other wear and tear.
– Test the water tank, boiler, fridge and other amenities to ensure that they are functioning correctly.
– Take it for a test drive and gauge the performance, such as power delivery, braking efficiency, and steering ability in different driving conditions. Careful consideration and inspection of these key areas will help you make an informed decision when buying a Volkswagen T5 campervan. It is also advisable to have the van checked over by a qualified mechanic before purchasing to ensure that everything is in order.