It’s said that Vanlife and VW Campervans in particular can be a never ending drain on your wallet.
A Pop Top Conversion for a VW Transporter is definitely no exception.
This is quite possibly the biggest spend you’ll ever make when investing in a Pop Top Conversion for a VW Transporter.
But the transformation and space it provides, makes it a popular option for many vanlifers in our community.
There are different styles and specifications of pop tops available for VW Transporters. Here are some examples:
1. Standard Pop Top: This is the most common type of pop top for a VW T5. It typically includes a canvas roof that can be lifted up and secured in place with poles. The canvas roof usually has windows and a zippered door for ventilation and access.
2. High-Lift Pop Top: This style of pop top is similar to the standard pop top but has an extended height, providing more headroom when the roof is raised. This is a good option for taller people who prefer more headroom in the van.
3. Electric Pop Top: An electric pop top is a type of pop top that can be raised and lowered with the push of a button. This is a convenient option for those who prefer not to manually lift the roof.
4. Scissor-Lift Pop Top: A scissor-lift pop top is a type of pop top that uses a scissor mechanism to raise and lower the roof. This style of pop top is typically more expensive than other types but provides more stability and durability.
5. Roof Bed Pop Top: A roof bed pop top is a type of pop top that includes a built-in bed that can be accessed when the roof is raised. This is a good option for those who want to maximize sleeping space in their camper van. It’s important to note that the style and specifications of a pop top can vary depending on the manufacturer and customization options. It’s always best to research and compare different options before making a decision.
As with anything, prices can vary wildly when you take into consideration additional features such as colour coding, material quality, elavation points, LWB or SWB, locking mechanisms, gas struts, windows, access points…. and the list goes on. Please bear this in mind when looking at these prices as they are simply a ball park figure to give an idea of what you would expect to pay.
Here are some guideline examples:
1. SCA Pop Top Roof – SCA is a well-known brand that produces high-quality pop top roofs for pop top conversions for a VW T4, T5 or T6. Their pop top roofs are available in different styles and can cost around £5,000 to £6,000.
2. Reimo Pop Top Roof– Reimo is another popular brand that offers pop top roofs for VW T4, T5, and T6. Their pop top roofs are available in different styles and can cost around £4,500 to £5,500.
3. Austops Pop Top Roof – Austops is a UK-based company that produces pop top roofs for VW T4, T5, and T6. Their pop top roofs are available in different styles and can cost around £4,000 to £5,000.
4. Skyline Pop Top Roof – Skyline is a relatively new brand that produces pop top roofs for VW T5 and T6. Their pop top roofs are available in different styles and can cost around £4,000 to £5,000.
5. Poptop World – Poptop World is a company that offers a range of pop top roofs for VW T4, T5, and T6. Their pop top roofs are available in different styles and can cost around £2,500 to £4,000.
Its quite possible you will find a Pop Top Conversion for a VW Transporter for much less and much more. We’ve heard of pop top conversions for as little as £1500 all in and upwards of £8000. So as mentioned before, it’s important to note that the cost of a pop top conversion can vary depending on the quality, style, brand, and features of the conversion.
Additionally, the cost of installation and additional customization can also impact the overall cost of the conversion. You can expect to pay £1000+ for labour, depending on the complexity of the installation and the company.